Friday, April 18, 2008

Light...

Many people ask...

If God loves us, then why do we suffer?

We should be safe. We shouldn't feel preyed upon. We shouldn't be subjected to scary medical conditions. We shouldn't die!

But...we do. And that is life.

I heard an interesting quote on Catholic radio the other day...

"The light of Christ shines even brighter during times of darkness."
And...ain't that the truth? Believe it or not, God is present when devastating things happen to us. In fact, He is even more present when we suffer. He did not leave us or forget about our existence. The suffering did not occur because God neglected us. God continues to watch over us through our suffering.

I believe in this because I have lived it.

I have been in this darkness. Among other hardships, I have lost a child. And I am raising a child who lives with a potentially fatal condition. Life isn't easy and my heart has been hurt. Numerous times. Words cannot even come close to describing what I feel on a daily basis. And quite frankly, I have been traumatized by the hardships that I have faced. It is impossible to conquer pain. Scars are here to stay. Wounds heal and pain subsides, but the healing does not take away the fact that the trauma occurred. But, what gets me through the day is this...

I know that God does not punish. God loves.

It is God's love that brings forth comfort during times of darkness. Our Father lights our paths with his love.  God's guidance  teaches us to derive invaluable wisdom from any despair we may face. He will show us the way if we let Him. Let Christ be your guiding light through whatever darkness you may face. You will feel God shining upon you if you open your path to Him.

 Do not allow the darkness to make you lose your way.

No comments: